Prior to understanding Pseudohypoparathyroidism, let’s start off with the pseudo prefix – we must comprehend the disorder without the prefix of pseudo first. Hence, before discussing pseudohypoparathyroidism, we must understand hypoparathyroidism first.
Hypoparathyroidism indicates that you don’t have sufficient parathyroid hormone.
However, in order for you to understand the clinical and biochemistry features of hypoparathyroidism, you will need to understand the functions of the parathyroid hormone.
The Parathyroid hormone is important in metabolizing calcium in individuals. Your parathyroid hormone will be released if there is hypocalcemia. Various mechanisms will be activated to bring your calcium level back to standard level such as:
1) increasing bone mineral dissolution, thus releasing calcium and phosphorus,
2) increasing calcium absorption but phosporus excretion by kidney,
3) improving calcium and phosphorus absorption from the gut,
Therefore, patients with hypoparathyroidism have hypocalcemia and hypophosphatemia.
Pseudohypoparathyroidism simply signifies patients with this disorder do not have reduced level of the parathyroid hormone but they possess the biochemical characteristics of hypoparathyroidism.
It is possible for a person’s body/tissue does not respond to the parathyroid hormone. The most widespread type of pseudohypoparathyroidism is type 1a, Albright’s hereditary osteodystrophy, which is associated with short stature, round facies, obesity and brachydactyly (which means shortness of the fingers and toes).
How many pseudos are necessary in hypoparathyroidism?
As for pseudopseudohypoparathyroidism, patients have characteristics of pseudohypoparathyroidism however biochemically, they are completely normal.
In future posts, I will discuss the difficulty of dealing with inexperienced, or even incompetent, doctors as Pseudohypoparathyroidism is part of a highly specialized area of Endocrinology. I will not focus on Hypoparathyroidism in the future, I just wanted to explain some of the similarities; read more here.
Incoming search terms:
- What is pseudohypoparathyroidism
- hypoparathyroidism and pseudohypoparathyroidism
- pseudo pseudohypoparathyroidism symptoms
- pseudo hypoparathyroidism symptoms
- what indicates hypoparathyroidism
- pseudohypoparathyroidism vs hypoparathyroidism
- Pseudohypoparathyroidism is
- pseudohypoparathyroidism calcium
- pseudohypoparathyroidism and bruses that dont leave